The Benefice of The Isle of Wedmore
· Would you consider joining the group of people who offer to read a lesson in church? If so, please speak to one of the clergy or lay readers. We will be holding an evening of training (and food!) for all our church readers new and long standing on 31st January at 7.30 p.m. in St Mary’s.
· The Pilgrim course has been used by churches and small groups across the country as a means of helping people find out a bit more about the Christian faith. It uses videos, bible readings, group conversations and quiet reflection. We will definitely be starting a group having had our introductory meeting. The first meeting proper will be on Wednesday 7th February and if you would like to be part of it please let the Vicar know asap.
· Wedmore’s Hidden Gardens We are planning to have Open Gardens in Wedmore on 23rd and 24th June 2018 and will be having a preliminary planning meeting in the Lady Chapel on Monday 15th January at 2 pm. We have several gardens promised but we need help with catering, publicity, signage etc. Please come if you feel you may be able to help in any way as we are raising much needed funds for St Mary’s. Tea or coffee and cakes will be provided. For more information contact Heather Hector 712478 or Anne Blandford 713045.
· Don’t forget that Communion is celebrated weekly on Wednesday mornings at 9.45 am in St Mary’s Lady Chapel. With a particular focus on peace and reconciliation it features some periods of silence. All welcome.
· This Sunday, ministers from our Local Ministry Group will be taking part in a pulpit swap. Alan Parfitt lay reader for Crook Peak will lead Morning Prayer at Allerton, with Judith Jeffery, vicar of Crook Peak taking communion at St Mary’s. Richard will be at St Gregory’s Weare that day.
· Messy Church returns to St Mary’s on Saturday 20 January between 3 and 5 pm. All families are welcome. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
· Bagley Baptist church are hosting Oddments Theatre Company’s production “The Hiding Place” about the life of Corrie ten Boom on Thursday 1 February at 7.30 pm. No charge but donations on the night are welcome. Over 15s only. See their website for further info http://bagleybaptist.co.uk.
· St Andrew’s Cheddar are hosting a workshop for those who lead intercessions in church on Saturday 24 February between 10 am and 12 noon. Led by the Revd Jonathan Philpott of Berrow and Brean. If you are interested in going along please let the Vicar know.
· Theale Community Café meets on Saturday 20 January between 10 am and 12 noon at Theale Village Hall.
· The Farm Community Network are holding their Plough Sunday service this year in St Mary’s on Sunday 28 January at 7 pm. It is a service traditionally for blessing ploughs and praying for the forthcoming agricultural year. All are welcome.
The Benefice of the Isle of Wedmore
SUNDAY 14 JANUARY 2018 : EPIPHANY 2
The Revd Richard Neill
Vicar of The Benefice of The Isle of Wedmore
twitter – @wedmorevic