How to supply Somerset Council
Have you ever thought about supplying your local council?
Join the Federation of Small Business (FSB) to find out how to make Somerset Council your next customer.
On September 12, at Deane House, Taunton – join the team and have the opportunity to ask questions to Somerset Council’s commissioning and procurement teams and find out more information from South West Cyber Resilience Centre about how to stay safe online.
You will be able to find out how to know what contracts are coming up, how to apply for them and how to get on the radar for those smaller jobs and purchases which don’t need to be tendered.
The UK’s National Awareness Week, 1-7 July 2023
On the 27th June 2019, the UK became the first major economy in the world to pass laws to end the UK’s contribution to climate change. The legislation committed the nations of the UK to reduce all greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050. Net zero means any remaining emissions would be offset by schemes to remove an equivalent amount of greenhouse gases.
The UK’s national awareness week highlights our challenge and provides the best expert advice and information to help us all better understand the challenge and how to benefit from making changes. Our greatest pursuit requires us all to take on our fair share of tackling emissions to stop global warming.
Interested in working for yourself? Running your own business? Want to earn some money?
CHOMP is an exciting new, free programme supporting young people to setup, run and manage a business. No business idea? Come and talk to SBA to learn how to be successful.
The programme will cover a combination of business training and hands-on experience of setting-up and working within a business. The programme will look to cover:
- Support setting-up & running a business
- Initial business ideas & resources
- Business start-up training
- Personality profiling
- Access to business mentors and business advisors
- Support with business plan development & launch
To be eligible, you need to:
- 24 years or under,
- Live in Somerset,
- Fully committed to the programme,
To find out more information about CHOMP or to get in touch with the team, please visit the link below:
The Growth Hub Business Support
Digital Leadership Training for SME’s
Free digital leadership training across Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay is now available for small and medium businesses (SMEs).
Business leaders who operate in the following sectors:
- Clean Growth
- Adult Social Care
- who have 250 or fewer employees
are eligible to apply for this free training opportunity.
Businesses can receive up to 32 hours of tutor led digital leadership training with the aim of embedding digital transformation within their business. Two training opportunities are available, these include driving digital transformation and driving digital business.
Thrive Business Support Programme Extended until July 2023
Many small businesses in Devon, Somerset, Plymouth and Torbay would benefit from free one-to-one business support but are unaware of where to access such support.
Fortunately Thrive, the popular business support programme for small business owners, has announced the extension of its services until the end of July 2023.
The programme’s one-to-one business support ensures that each participant receives fully-funded advice and personalized guidance to address their unique challenges and opportunities. From refining marketing strategies to bolstering resilience, growth, recruitment, and more, Thrive’s dedicated business advisors are ready to assist SME’s at every stage.
Thrive Free Digital Guides!
Thrive have provided free digital guides to help small business owners seeking to improve their online digital presence and business marketing:
- Small Business Guide to Instagram
- Small Business Guide to Facebook
- Business Guide to Social Media
- Small Business Owners Guide to using Chat GPT for your Marketing
- Digital Information Pack
Get in touch with the team today stating which free guides you’d like to receive and what guides you’d like to see next.
Grant Funding for Food Waste Reduction
‘Eat It Up’ is a new grant fund aimed at finding and supporting creative approaches to reducing food waste.
The £200,000 fund, launched by Hubbub in partnership with Starbucks, is offering grants of up to £40,000. They are looking for projects that have either been tested and need funding to support their expansion or are at an earlier stage with a concept ready to trial, examples of this could be:
- Address pre-farmgate waste (the food production process, up to the point where the products have been harvested and prepared as produce for sale)
- Prevent food from being wasted at manufacturing and processing stage
- Minimise food waste from retailers
- Find ways to use surplus food in creative ways in communities or at home
To find our more information or to check your eligibility, please visit the Hubbub website:
Coastal Networking Events for the Tourism and Hospitality Sector
A free networking event designed exclusively for tourism and hospitality businesses, within 5 miles or so of the Somerset/Exmoor coast from Brean to Porlock, who could benefit from a new project to promote the coast.
The aim is to bring together like-minded professionals who are passionate about promoting the Somerset and Exmoor coast.
This event will provide you the chance to look around a unique venue, chat with other businesses and find out how you can get involved in the new Coastal Festival and Coastal Passport. At no cost to you, you will have the opportunity to participate in new packages we are creating.
Bossington Hall, Bossington, Porlock, TA24 8HJ.
To reserve a space, please see the link below.
Have an enquiry about the Coastal Networking Event?
Get in touch with Nell if you have any questions or alternatively, as we move into the busy tourism season, and you are unable to make it, pop Nell an email to state your interest in getting involved:
Sustainable Farming Incentive 2023 update
The Sustainable Farming Incentive 2023 will start accepting applications in a controlled rollout from August.
The Sustainable Farming Incentive will offer farmers more flexibility to choose the actions they want to get paid for. Farmers will get paid for taking actions that support food production and improve farm productivity and resilience, while also protecting and improving the environment.
The 23 actions on offer cover existing themes including soil health and moorland, as well as new actions on hedgerows, integrated pest management, nutrient management, farmland wildlife, buffer strips, and low input grassland.
To find out more information, please visit the Government website.
New On-Farm Resilience Competition
Farmers and growers can now apply for the new competition for up to £1 million in project costs to drive the development of new technology and innovative farming methods, with a focus on practical solutions that make a real impact on farms.
If you have an ambitious research and development project which supports productivity and sustainability in the sector, you can apply for a share of the £12.5 million from the Farming Futures competition, which is part of the Farming Innovation Programme.
There are two strands of funding under the competition:
- Strand 1 for Feasibility Projects (£200,000 to £500,000),
- Strand 2 Industrial Research (£500,000 to £1 million).
Find out more on the Heart of the South West Growth Hub website:
There are plenty of upcoming events happening in Somerset:
- Cost Reduction through Sustainability 4 July – 10:00-13:00 – online
- Find out how the Somerset/Exmoor Coast can benefit your tourism business 4 July – 13:30-15:00 – Bossington Hall, Bossington, Porlock, TA24 8HJ
- Cheese & Wine Open Networking 4 July – 17:00 start – May’s Cafe, 1 Abingdon St, Burnham-on-Sea, TA8 1PH
- Tech South West Summit 5 July – 09:30-16:00 – Somerset County Cricket Club, St James St, Taunton, TA1 1JT
- Breakfast with Frome Chamber 6 July – 08:00-10:00 – Standerwick Centre, Standerwick Market, Frome, BA11 2QB
- Somerton Business and Trade Association 10 July – 18:00 start – The White Hart Inn, Market Place, Somerton, Somerset TA11 7LX
- Using Canva for your Marketing 11 July – 10:00-13:00 – online
- Sustainable Growth in the Creative Sector 11 July – 09:30 start – Apex City of Bath Hotel, James Street West, Bath, BA1 2DA
- Countryside Stewardship: A Guide to Completing your Mid-Tier Application 11 July – 18:00-20:00 / 20 July – 12:00-14:00 – online
- Finance & Funding Workshop 12 July – 09:30-15:00 – The Collar Factory, 112 Saint Augustine Street, Taunton, TA1 1QN
- Starting a Business and/or Boosting Employment Skills Event 13 July – 12:00-16:30 – Taunton Library, Paul St, Taunton TA1 3XZ
- How to Stay Safe Online 18 July – 13:00-15:30 – online
- Exploring SFI Options for Your Farm in 2023 19 July – 11:30-14:00 – online
- Market Strategy 20 July – 10:00-14:00 – online
- Digital Essentials: Technology Support for your Farm 25 July – 13:00-15:00 – online
- Farm Grants Update & Navigating the Agricultural Transition 25 July – 10:30-12:30 – Batcombe Jubilee Village Hall, Back Lane, Batcombe, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 6HE
- Emergency First Aid in the Workplace 27 July – at a local venue (tbc)
- Improving your LinkedIn, SEO & Website Presence 27 July – 10:00-16:00 – online
- Introduction to Farm Management Software 1 August – 10:00-12:30 – online
- Becoming Grant Ready 3 August – 10:00-12:00 – online
- MD and CEO Forum 8 August – 12:00-14:00 – Fussels Fine Foods Ltd, Church Farm, Parkgate Lane, Rode, Frome, Somerset, BA11 6AA
- Exploring SFI Options for Your Farm in 2023 16 August – 11:30-14:00 – online
- Digital Essentials: Technology Support for your Farm 16 August – 13:00-15:30 – online
- Market Strategy 17 August – 10:00-14:00 – online
- Excel for your Farm Business 22 August – 10:00am -12:30pm – online
- Exploring SFI Options for Your Farm in 2023 6 September – 11:30-14:00 – online
- Introduction to Farm Management Software 6 September – 13:00-15:30 – online
- Farm Grants Update & Navigating the Agricultural Transition 11 September – 18:00-21:00 – Crowcombe Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 4AQ
- Discover Microsoft 365 12 September – 10:00-12:00 – online
- How to Stay Stafe Online 13 September – 10:00-12:30 – online
- Attracting and Retaining Top Talent 18 September – 09:30am-12:30
- Farm Grants Update & Navigating the Agricultural Transition 18 September – 18:00-21:00 – Brent Knoll Parish Hall, Brent Knoll, Somerset, TA9 4EH
- Excel for your Farm Business 19 September – 13:00-15:30 – online
- Digital Essentials: Technology Support for your Farm 26 September – 10:00-12:30 – online
- Farm Grants Update & Navigating the Agricultural Transition 26 September – 10:30-12:30 – Wiveliscombe Community Centre, West Street, Wiveliscombe, Taunton, Somerset, TA4 2JP
- Farm Grants Update & Navigating the Agricultural Transition 28 September – 10:30-12:30 – Baltonsborough Village Hall, Ham Street, Baltonsborough, Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 8PX
Have an Economic Development enquiry? Get in touch with the Somerset Economic Development team: