Serving fine ales since 1850ish
The New Inn was originally part of a row of cottages in Combe Batch and is thought to have been opened sometime in the late 1840s by the Parker family. It was ‘new’ compared to the other two drinking establishments in the village, hence the name.
The pub didn’t appear as a beer house in the census of 1841, but by 1851 Ann Parker was recorded as being the keeper of an ‘Ale and Beer house’. She was still running it in 1891 with her son George (44) and one servant, and by 1901 George Parker had taken over.
1 Coombe Batch